How important is beard oil? If you haven't used beard oil before, you might be querying the purpose of it. What makes if different from other beard products, and how it can make a difference to your beard?
Beards have been growing in popularity around the globe for many many years. In 2015, the New York Times declared that beards were an essential fashion item for men. Following a survey by The Guardian most people in the UK realised that beards had become mainstream.
What Is Beard Oil?
Beard oil, in the majority of cases is the parallel of having a growth agent, moisturiser and conditioner in a single bottle. The majority of men do not realise it but when you wash your beard, you start to strip away the natural oils in the skin below and your hair which keep it shiny and healthy. The intention of beard oil it to help you retain or restore the oils that you can lose when you wash your beard.
When applied to facial hair, it helps suppress your beard, making it softer, flake free and for you men with longer beards, easier to style. Most beard oils are produced using two essential ingredients:
- Carrier oils such as Jojoba or Coconut oil which makes up the bulk of your beard oil, and;
- Essential oil like Sweet Almond or Apricot Kernel oil which give it the desired scent.
Our very own Sweet Orange and Lavender scented Beard Oil contains Aloe Vera (which helps promote beard growth) and Avocado Oil (which is known to moisturise and nourish the skin below your beard and create a beautiful environment for your beard to flourish).
Why Use Beard Oil?
1. Beard oil makes your beard easier to shape and style - As mentioned above, our beard oil helps to keep your beard hair softer. As your natural oils can be stripped out over time, it can prevent the skin below becoming dry and itchy. This ensures your beard is in good condition and ready to be styled easily.
2. Beard oil moisturises your beard and the skin below - We know that a lot of men suffer with a flaky beard. Most beard oils contain emollients, antioxidants and conditioning products which go a long way to keeping your beard hair soft and the skin below to be hydrated. This is important as without hydrating your beard and the skin below, your facial hair can become coarse, hard work ad unpleasant to look at. This would also mean overtime with limited moisture, your facial hair and the skin below could get dry. This ultimately causes your beard to seek moisture from the skin which is why it can become dry and flaky.
When Shall I Apply Beard Oil?
Here at Bristles we suggest you use beard oil first thing in the morning right after you have washed your face. We recommend this because your hair follicles and pores are open and absorb the oil much easier. Using beard oil on a daily bases should be part of your grooming regime and it is an amazing way to maintain a healthy beard.
How Do I Use Beard Oil?
There are many different ways and techniques when it comes to applying beard oil.
We have outlined the recommended steps below:
1. Apply three to four drops of beard oil into your palms.
2. Rub the oil into your palms and through your fingers.
3. Massage the oil into your beard. We recommend that you start from the side of your beard and work to the front of your face and then down. Make sure you massage right the way to your skin (as our beard oil contains Aloe Vera it will help hydrate your skin).
If you have a longer beard, use six to eight drops of beard oil and make sure you comb through the beard oil.
This is the product which catapulted Bristles into the mens grooming market. Our beard oil has a complex blend of natural oils which will ensure your beard looks pristine at all times. Although you can use beard oil at any time of the day, we recommend that you use our product in the mornings for a clean, soft shine that will withstand the stresses of everyday life. Our beard oil will boost your beard and your confidence.
Our beard oil is available in a variety of scents.
For storage and direction of use please click here